Saturday, March 22, 2008

I can't tackle the Subway issue lightly. Yes, I worked there many years ago, yes I had some great times working there. The people I worked with were great, fun, and pretty outstanding people. The kind of people that would back you up in a bar fight, or help start a bar fight, or would kick the ass of anyone that opposed you, but mainly they were just friends fighting the same fight day in and day out as I did. They had your back because they were in the same struggle as you were, making minium wage busting ass at a sandwich shop.



I can assure you that at this point in time even the shift leader were only making $7.50 an hour. Only a mere 50, or 75 cents seperating them from new hires. History repeats itself and it's a dangerous lesson to learn in the restuarant business. If you don't pay your employees well enough, or treat them good enough then they just really don't care. Paying these people an extra dollar or two more an hour and you would have a tighter, more effecient crew that played by the rules.

But because the franchise owner treated them like slave rats, the only rules the employees followed were the 10 and 20 second rule, the idea that you deserve crap if you give them crap, and the idea that cutting corners made things easier. Yes, you could often here the same motto being shouted in the back prep stations. "You pay me $6.50 and hour and I'll give you $6.50 of work an hour. It was just that simple.

This is why some sub workers are rude to you when you make cocky or snides remarks. They aren't paid to deal with your shit. I can't even count on my hands how many times a customer has made me cry, and once on Easter of all days. You people can be down right mean, condesending, and inapproprate. So take note next time you order a sandwich, don't be the jackass in the line.

I plan on covering a lot of subway stories. These stories are not meant to chide the restuarant chain, well okay it sorta is. They deliever such a low quality sandwich with prices just as high as other chains and seem to have the lowest staff moral, probably due to bad working conditions, no holidays off not even christmas, and low pay. Subway is surely one of the ones at the bottom of the barrell.

No comments: