Friday, July 4, 2008

Subway Challenge One

I endured a long process and some really sub-par sandwiches to bring you The Subway Challenge. I went, I challenged, I ate, and I wrote. I never wrote down which subways were what. I really thought it should be anonymous since the challenges involved only Florida chain subways and I knew as a former submaker myself that sometimes people ask for weird shit, and they teach you that customer satisfaction is of utmost importance. Customer is always right? Right? Wrong!

Well let's get to it
Challenge One was all about cheese pattern. I blogged a little in the past about subway cheese pattern and how they purposely do not spread the cheese triangles evenly. Here a manager explains why in this image below.

The challenge was to ask the Sub Artist if they could take the four slices and alternate them 1 up, 1 down, 1 up, 1 down. I decided 3 attempts would be enough to figure out if they are willing to go against the policy. The first time I went during the Lunch Rush. The girl looked over at the manager and said. "Sorry ma'am I'm not allowed to do that, but I can put the cheese off to the side and you can put it on yourself. " Of course I said, "Don't worry about it", and slid on over to the topping station.

The manager, who was at the register, made a point to tell me that the reason is because of the integrity of the "Subway Brand", there is a specific formula that makes the sandwiches taste better. "We do not deviate from the formula", he said. Can I tell you how hard it was not for me to lash back. I thought saying something would ruin my challenge and the point wasn't to be an angry unsatisfied customer it was to see if they would switch the cheese around. First off if you want integrity for the subway brand you may want to invest in better, fresher, non prepackaged meats, better quality cheeses and keep quality control on your bread. Secondly putting the cheese slices like that doesn't degrade from the taste, in fact it makes it more even. Most of the time ingredients are laid on for aesthetics and secondly to taste. I really wanted to say something but I didn't.

Time for a second go at this. Another store, a little bit after the Lunch Rush. The girl seemed very new but she was good at assembling the sandwich. It was only her up on the line and when I asked the dreaded question she said. Mmmm let me ask. She went in the back and emerged. Half wanting to please her boss and half wanting to please her customer she said in a quiet tone ," Well we aren't supposed to but I'll make an exception." "Just don't expect everyone to do it for you". And by everyone she meant anyone who was within eyeshot of the boss.

I get it, It's all about food cost and wanting to up-sale, but shouldn't we be atleast satified with the store model. The sandwich model should be tasty without having to add extras. I understand the idea and the want for extras because everyone has different taste. If I want extra bacon I should have to pay more. If I want extra cheese I should have to pay more but trying so hard to make the sandwich inadequate so people HAVE to buy extras is disgraceful.

So my third trip, I felt jaded. On my drive I yelled aloud what I was going to say to these anti cheese composition freaks. This was my last stop. I had already prepared to say something. It was good, it was directed at the company and not at the worker, it was righteous. It was point by point what I had thought. and I was going to let them have it.

It was late. about 8.55 pm when I walked in. I sighed and maintained my composure waiting untill they told me no. Waiting for when they would ask me if I wanted cheese or not. Something broke my concentration. "Ma'am would you like cheese on that?" "Oh sorry, it's been a long day, yes I would, and you can alternate the chesee, you know one up, one down?" "Alright". "Really", I said wide eyed. "Sure, not a problem," he said. Another girl emerged to top off my sub, and I asked her if I want extra of a topping if I'd have to pay more. She said no unless I asked for all of the toppings. "You come during the day?" She asked. "Yeah usually, I replied". She shook her head and laughed, we aren't as strict as them. Here at night we have a different customer and we like to honor that. I didn't see a manager, but I supposed one was in back perhaps doing a food order, as this grouping was dressed to standard and doing a lot of the corporate rules.

I was surprised they were much more happy and customer based that the day crews I had encountered at the other subways. More studies will need to be done to find out if night crew is really better at customer service than day crew.

As far as this challenge in concerned as long as a manger isn't looking you can get your cheese flipped. If you are pissed about this corporate order. Write Subway Headquaters, if enough people write things will get changed.

Some people say order a different cheese. The cheese they had were all triangle that I saw and the challenge was to get them to flip the default american cheese. So if you ask, and they say no, ask for a corporate card you can send in to get this issue irraticated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for some reason, I never have thought to ask for a subway sub with the cheese triangles some certain way.

maybe you should just start taking lunch breaks at 8:50pm from now on. ;)