Sunday, July 20, 2008

Applebee's Club House Grill spins an old favorite sandwich with a tangy/sweet twist.

Little did I know I was going to review a sandwich today. I was supposed to be on my way to Miami and when plans fell through we circled back around and up to the Applebee's at the Hunter's Creek Orlando Location.

I was going to get a burger but decided to try the ClubHouse Grill Sandwich. You can't go wrong with a club. The perfect marriage of turkey and ham with the crunch of bacon. The taste goes so well with the cheese, lettuce and tomato. This however wasn't your normal club. Applebees decided to take the club and add BBQ sauce to it. Was this the secret ingredient that was going to send your taste buds swirling into heaven or would this be a complete catastrophe ending in a deadly throw to the ground and a stomp.

Admitly while enjoying friendly chitchat at the table I had my doubts as to if I was going to like it. I knew the BBQ sauce was either going to make or break this sandwich. I knew it came with fries so if I didn't like it I had a backup.

Our server T.J. was very polite and was always there with anything we needed. Prompt polite service. I knew that if I hated the sandwich so much I could always have the service to positively report on.

The food was here and it was time for the moment of truth. The presentation was nice, the club was piled high, and the bacon looked nice and crisp. Nothing worse than wimpy limpy bacon, it can ruin a sandwich. I took one bite and as I chewed I had made up my mind. The BBQ sauce was delicious. It taste like it was meant to be on there the whole time. It didn't seem out of place, or an add on at the last minute. It was perfect for this club.


This isn't your average club, but if you are picky, you may want to stick to your milder fare. This is a bold flavor that has the ability to turn off those not looking for so much excitement. This is the perfect sandwich for a beer or 2 at lunch. It's one of those things you get when you are looking for fun and not watching your weight. I didn't have my camera with me, so the photo to the right is courtesy of chapstickaddict. Although mine looked very similar.


I searched the internet and it seemed that for some time the Club House Grill was taken off the menu. People loved it so much that they created a petition site to bring the favorite back. The loud outpouring from the sandwiches' fans persuaded Applebees to put it back on the menu.

I only found one negative review. The first thing they hated was the BBQ sauce and noted the bacon on paper thin and something you would find at McDonalds. I think the guy was turned off by the BBQ sauce and just wanted one more thing to complain about because the bacon I had was on par.


I think for me it was the type of BBQ they used they knew how to make it add flavor without overtaking the whole sandwich.


If you fancy yourself a sandwich connoisseur and are looking for a little tangy sweet, inexpensive grill and bar type food in a family setting than this is for you. I'm going to give this one 5 stars for taste, flavor and that little special ingredient.

No comments: